Long term followers of this blog would know I have been an advocate and supporter of the Dublin Literary Award for a number of years, an award where the titles are drawn from member libraries all over the planet, with the longlist of 147 titles being filtered down to a shortlist of ten.
The prize of €100,000 is awarded to the author of the winning book. However, if the winning book is in English translation, €75,000 is awarded to the author and €25,000 to the translator.
The winner will be announced on 21 June 2017.
For details on the award go to the official website at http://www.dublinliteraryaward.ie/
Here are the shortlisted titles (titles I have reviewed have links to my review)
“A General Theory of Oblivion” by José Eduardo Agualusa (Translated from the original Portuguese by Daniel Hahn).
- Nominated by Biblioteca Demonstrativa Maria da Conceição Moreira Salles – Ministério da Cultura, Brasilia, Brazil. Gradska Knjiznica Rijeka, Croatia. Biblioteca Municipal de Oeiras, Portugal. Biblioteca Pública Municipal do Porto, Portugal
“Confession of the Lioness” by Mia Couto (Translated from the original Portuguese by David Brookshaw)
- Nominated by Biblioteca Demonstrativa Maria da Conceição Moreira Salles – Ministério da Cultura, Brasilia, Brazil. Biblioteca Municipal de Oeiras, Portugal
“The Green Road” by Anne Enright
- Nominated by Veria Central Public Library, Greece. Dublin City Public Libraries, Ireland. Milwaukee Public Library, USA. Edinburgh City Libraries, Scotland
“The Prophets of Eternal Fjord” by Kim Leine (Translated from the original Danish by Martin Aitken)
- Nominated by Openbare Bibliotheek Brugge, Belgium. Aarhus Kommunes Biblioteker, Denmark. Chicago Public Library, USA
“The Story of My Teeth” by Valeria Luiselli (Translated from the original Spanish by Christina MacSweeney)
- Nominated by New York Public Library, USA
“The Sympathizer” by Viet Thanh Nguyen
- Nominated by New York Public Library, USA. Chicago Public Library, USA. Los Angeles Public Library, USA. Richmond Public Library, USA
“Under the Udala Trees” by Chinelo Okparanta
- Nominated by Stockholm Public Library, Sweden
“A Strangeness in My Mind” by Orhan Pamuk (Translated from the original Turkish by Ekin Oklap)
- Nominated by Cork City Libraries, Ireland. Margarita Rudomino All-Russia State Library for Foreign Literature, Moscow, Russia
“A Whole Life” by Robert Seethaler (Translated from the original German by Charlotte Collins)
- Nominated by Stadt:Bibliothek Salzburg, Austria. Stadtbibliothek Bremen, Germany. Stadtbüchereien Düsseldorf, Germany. Cork City Libraries, Ireland
“A Little Life” by Hanya Yanagihara
- Nominated by Wojewódzka Biblioteka Publiczna im. Marszałka Józefa Piłsudskiego w Łodzi, Poland. Free Library of Philadelphia, USA. Multnomah County Library, Portland, USA. Richmond Public Library, USA. San Diego Public Library, USA